Some excellent questions to prompt your thinking about the film!
Study Guide for Jane Campion’s “The Piano” (1993)
- Jane Campion’s “The Piano” takes place in mid-19th century New Zealand. Do some research about the colonial history in New Zealand and see how it helps you understand film.
- Do some research about Jane Campion’s filmography to identify the common themes in her work.
- How does the opening sequence help you understand Ada?
- Why is Ada described as a “mail-order bride”?
- What does Ada’s muteness signify in the film?
- How do you think the New Zealand landscape with its forests, thick mud, sea and beach helps us understand the film?
- What does a comparison between Stewart’s house and Baines’ house reveal about these two characters?
- Analyze the characters of Stewart and Baines in relation to their relations to Ada and to the Maori.
- Examine Stewart’s and Baines’s clothes and discuss what they reveal about these two men.
- What does “land” mean to…
View original post 486 more words